Three Promotional Elements to Include in Your EBook that’ll Spark Additional Sales
Today's Editor's Picks
If you’re on the cusp of finishing you’re first ebook than you’re reading this at the perfect moment. Those just starting to create an ebook will greatly benefit from this post, too. And, if you’ve already got one out there than doing a few of these items, as an update, will certainly be well worth the effort.
What am I talking about?
How about generating additional sales through your work?
All it takes is a few tweaks to the design, a bit of shopping cart magic, or a few more hours creating some additional content.
What you’re about to learn are three ways to add in promotional elements that’ll spark and fire up additional sales through your ebook.
Adding a social layer to your ebook is easy as including a clickable link or image. These items can be added within all major text and document editors following the same process you’d complete such as when adding these elements to a blog post.
The inclusion of these elements will increase the chance of marketing your ebook and encouraging engagement with the readers.
When prompted to share a piece of information or the book, people will begin sharing it across their social media accounts. By doing so you are raising the social signals to the work which, in turn, increases its online presence, traffic, and (hopefully) conversions.
Here are a few of these items to consider:
- Adding image links to your Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, or YouTube accounts
- Creating “Tweet This” style call-outs which link back to the ebook landing page
- The use of an author page which also links to your social accounts and contact
Those wishing to add social buttons to their ebook can find a handy guide to creating these buttons over on Hubspot.
Cross Promotional Coupons
Coupon codes are very easy to make if you’re using a decent shopping cart.
Creating these coupon codes can be used in normal marketing efforts such as during an email drop or through a social share.
You can take these coupons one step further by creating a page within the work that includes coupon codes for other relevant pieces you’ve created.
It would go a little something like this:
1. Create a page toward the end of the book for “Other Resources”.
2 Create the coupon code within your shopping cart.
3. Use visuals and copy on the resource page with links that automatically send readers over to the product page with an applied discount (and be sure to include the coupon as text).
4. Track the coupon uses within analytics services to see which gain the highest referrals and tweak the inclusion on other works you’ve complete.
- Book A points to Book B & C
- Book B points to Book A & C
- Book C points to Book A & B
Essentially you will have created an ecosystem similar to interlinking blog posts on your website; it will encourage readers to discover other valuable information products you have to offer. Hitting them with the coupon offer toward the end will catch them at a high point seeing they have just completed the piece (this will place them into an emotional mindset which leads to an ease in conversion).
Embed Audio and Video
The ebook may just be a book but it doesn’t have to be confined to just text.
The EPUB format has the ability to include embedded audio and video.
This means that the media can be consumed on any device that handles the format which is basically any major reader or tablet out there.
What does the addition of these elements do for increasing business?
- Audio will allow you to explain certain topics in greater detail but in an off-the-cuff manner which makes the information easy to consume and gives readers a chance to relax while they learn from your book.
- Video can be used to show deeper explanations of topics you’re covering without the need to go heavy into the text. This allows you to keep the reader moving forward and excited for the prospect of implementing the ideas contained within your book but also lets them take the time to learn and understand it in detail, when needed.
Overall, these two elements can form additional call-to-actions for your ebook.
- You could mention products or services within the audio portion, affiliate with the offers, and drive people through short links.
- Video can casually mention products or services being used and then link to them (yours or an affiliate) within the resource overview you may include in the video.
Wesley, over at SpeedOfCreativity, has shown some of his audio and video elements added into his ebook which is a great set of examples for what’s possible when you go outside heavy text.
All-in-all, keep in mind that the publishing formats are very flexible.
Inclusion of social media elements, coupons, and audio/video will expand your offer beyond the basics of text. You’ll create engagement, encourage additional sales, and engage readers through new media.
An ebook with these items will set a new bar and through this you will be a leader of your industry.