Holiday and Event-Based Marketing for Flower Affiliate Programs
Have you ever tried to order flowers the day before Valentine’s Day? The sales rep probably asked if you were crazy. We’re all aware of the big holidays and on which days they fall. That’s easy. The difficult part is being proactive. While this is important when it comes to sending flowers for major occasions, it’s even more important when promoting flower sales for these same occasions. You have to remind people to order early, not only for the best deal, but so the bouquet or arrangement is available and arrives on time. Here are the top 5 major holidays for flower sales and some tips on how to promote them.
- Valentine’s Day – Valentine’s Day is one of the biggest sales day of the year for florists all around the globe. The tricky thing about Valentine’s Day is that men do a lot of ordering for this occasion. They’re generally the ones placing the order at the last minute. The key to capitalizing on Valentine’s Day sales is early promotion. Post a banner in early- to mid-January and also add a count-down calendar to your site. Post tips on popular arrangements, what the different colors of roses mean, what types of flowers are appropriate for whom, etc. Ask your affiliate for the arrangements they think will be the most popular and add those images and descriptions to your site. Constantly monitor your links to make sure they’re working. Optimize your site for keywords relating to Valentine’s Day gifts and flower delivery.
- Mother’s Day – Mother’s Day rivals and usually beats Valentine’s Day in terms of flower delivery and sales. This holiday is particularly tricky as it doesn’t fall on the same date every year – rather on the second Sunday in May – at least for most countries. Start promoting for Mother’s Day in the middle of March. Use the same techniques you would for your Valentine’s Day promotion – calendar, countdown, SEO strategy, etc. You could also capitalize on the fact that Mother’s Day is celebrated on different days in different countries. In France, for example, it’s the last Sunday in May, while in Mexico, it falls on May 10th. Add these dates to your calendar and promote accordingly.
- Easter – When people think Easter, then think flowers, they think Easter lilies, daffodils and other spring blooms. Tailor promotions to those that need to buy these flowers in bulk – companies, businesses, nursing homes and even churches that plan to stock up for the big day. Ask the affiliate company to provide you offers for multiple orders or discounts on shipping. Many companies like hotels, restaurants, caterers, party planners or dining halls will order spring flower arrangements for centerpieces and decoration. Again, one way to really capitalize on this is to promote quantity discounts, if possible.
- Thanksgiving – Thanksgiving is a great holiday to suggest flower delivery for those who can’t make it home for the holidays. Beautiful autumn arrangements and even cornucopias make ideal gifts and will transform into wonderful centerpieces.
- Christmas – Similar to Easter, Christmas is another holiday in which to really promote quantity discounts for poinsettias and centerpiece arrangements. Many flower delivery companies also provide wreaths. Everyone throws a Christmas party and regardless of size, fresh Christmas flowers make for beautiful decorations. Market to caterers, party planners, businesses, churches, etc. Start promoting Christmas arrangements right around Thanksgiving. Keep in mind that Christmas is one of the busiest times of the year for shipping.
The beauty of flower delivery is that there are so many occasions for which flowers add the perfect touch. Add a calendar on your site with all of the holidays clearly marked. Highlight a deadline for when customers should order to ensure they receive their order in time for each holiday. As well, keep the following days and occasions on your calendar and promote them accordingly:
- Bosses’ Day
- Secretary’s Day
- Grandparent’s Day
- 4th of July
- Memorial Day
- Veteran’s Day
In addition to running promotions for holidays, you should always promote events and special occasions. In addition to running ads and banners to promote these events, add other elements to your site like tips on how to use flowers for party and occasion decorating. Keep in mind the following events and special occasions as the perfect opportunity to send flowers or decorate with them:
- Baby Showers
- Bridal Showers