Buy.com, one of the oldest, most comprehensive online retailers with nearly 20 million products is an affiliate marketers dream.
Owned by Rakuten, a Japanese online and electronics company which also happens to operate the Linkshare network, Buy.com brings the best of both worlds through an incredible selection of products for promotion and a tie in to the Linkshare network, one of the leading affiliate networks online.
In this review, we’ll take a look at the program, its pros and cons, and why it would be within your best interest to bring everything under one roof to maximize your potential through Buy.com.
Buy.com: The Overview
First thing’s first: Rakuten is massive.
The company owns a host of valuable web properties around the world including the LinkShare affiliate network which provides affiliate services for some of the largest brands in the world.
As far as Buy.com goes, the sheer volume of products offered through the platform gives you an endless amount of options and opportunity to chase after any niche that pleases you and your business venture. The inclusion of the Buy.com marketplace, which allows any retailer to sell on the network, continues to explode the amount of products on the marketplace exponentially.
But, we’re here to talk about the affiliate program.
Here are the base facts you most likely seek:
- 3% commissions on computer hardware, electronics, software, and office supplies
- 8% commissions on most everything else
- Free shipping on thousands of products
- Payments maid via check or direct deposit
- 15 day cookie duration
It doesn’t end there. Here are some of the resources you get within the program:
- Monthly coupons and specials
- Newsletters highlighting the best offers and promotions
- Link builder, RSS feeds, product catalogs, banners, creative, and apps
On top of it all, Buy.com has been active since 1997 which goes to show that the business knows what they’re doing and continually improve with each passing year.
Buy.com: In Review
Yes, Buy.com may be under the wing of the massive Rakuten brand but does it really measure up to the countless retailers found online?
- Millions of items mean millions of opportunities
- Perfect tie-in with the LinkShare program (since being owned by the same corporation)
- The marketplace allows for endless, new partnerships and products to promote
- The brand isn’t as recognized as Amazon.com
- Small commissions on otherwise big ticket items such as electronics
- Some data has begun to be dated which needs upkeep to maximize your potential
The Bottom Line
Buy.com may not have the same ring as Amazon.com but it’s certainly a worthwhile contender to selling physical (and digital) products online.
Our Verdict: 4.5 out of 5
The integration with LinkShare, decent commission, but more importantly the 15 day cookie (compared to the session only cookie done through Amazon) is enough to whet your appetite to begin promoting the products on Buy.com. With this affiliate program, your only limit is how hard you want to work.
Thumbs up from us.